WHAT IS A BRAND MARK?
It is an identification mark of the animal provided for under the Animal Identification Act No 28 of the Laws of Zambia.
A brand mark is a mark of ownership, and every legitimate brand is recorded by the state or Country, thus preventing duplication within a given territory.
It is a form that is filled in by an applicant which contains four (4) parts
- The first part is filled in by an applicant and it consists of the following details:
- The full name of the applicant
- The address of the applicant
- The District where the animals are
- The second part is filled in by comments of “no objection” from the Village headman in the District or the Council in whose area the applicant resides
- The third part is filled in by comments of “no objection” from the Zambia Police in the applicant’s locality.
- The fourth or last stage consists of the following:
- Brand allocated
- The signature of the Registrar of Animal Brands
IMPORTANCE OF BRAND MARK
- It is a unique number/mark for identification of the owner of the Animals
- Helps in traceback
- It can be used permanently thus the number/mark cannot be easily changed
PROCEDURE ON HOW TO OBTAIN A BRAND MARK
- Forms can be obtained from the Department of Veterinary Services offices in all Districts of Zambia or downloaded from the website
- Submit the duly completed forms at the Ministry Headquarters.
- The form will be scrutinized and if all is in order the applicant will be advised to pay a fee of K100 to be deposited in the bank account for the Ministry
- The Registrar will allocate the brand number for the animals.
VALIDITY OF IDENTIFICATION MARK
An identification mark is valid for a period of five years from the date of its allocation.
RENEWAL OF IDENTIFICATION MARK.
A proprietor of an identification mark may, three months before the expiry of the validity of the identification mark, apply to the Registrar for the renewal of the identification mark in the prescribed manner and form.
TRANSFER OF IDENTIFICATION MARK.
An owner of an animal with an identification mark registered under this Act may apply to the Registrar for the transfer of the identification mark to another person in the prescribed manner and form upon payment of the prescribed fee
CANCELLATION OF CERTIFICATE OF REGISTRATION OF IDENTIFICATION MARK
An owner of an identification mark may surrender the identification mark and the Registrar may, upon receipt of a notice thereof, cancel the certificate of registration of the identification mark. The Registrar shall cancel the certificate of registration of an identification mark issued under this Act if—
- the holder of the certificate of registration obtained the certificate through fraud, misrepresentation or concealment of a material fact;
- the validity of the certificate of registration expires;
- the holder of the certificate of registration commits an offence under this Act or any other law.
A person who is aggrieved with a decision of the Registrar under this Act, within 30 days of receiving the decision, appeal to the Minister.
OFFENCES RELATED TO MARKING OF ANIMALS.
A person who-
- marks or allows an animal to be marked with a mark which is not an identification mark registered under this Act;
- marks or allows an animal or be marked with an identification mark without the authorisation of the owner of such identification mark;
- marks or allows an animal to be marked with an identification mark other than in the prescribed manner;
- marks or allows an animal to be marked with an identification mark which is registered in the name of a person who is not the owner of the animal;
- marks or allows an animal to be marked with an identification mark which is not a prescribed identification mark in respect of the group to which the animal belongs;
- uses more than one identification mark in respect of the same group of animals, unless the registration of all the identification marks was obtained under this Act;
Click the link below to Download the brand marks application form